I have referenced vocab actions in previous posts. I sometimes refer to it at TPR but it is not traditional TPR. Here is a video of how it works in my class:
The purpose of the activity is:
– Students hear the pronunciation of the vocabulary TONS.
– Students internalize the vocabulary kinesthetically.
– I scaffold the vocab so it is accessible to all students.
– *Bonus!* It’s a movement break
The activity is scaffolded like this:
1. I teach the actions or we create the actions together. Students silently stand.
3. Round 1: I say the word, I do the actions, students DO NOT say the word, students do the action
4. Round 2: I say the word, students do the action, I delay my action
5. Round 3: I say the word, I do the wrong action, they do the right action.